Out of a love for learning new things this site originally began as a “learn something new every week” newsletter with authors contributing topical articles based on their area of expertise while promoting their books.
It has since morphed into a general interest website that has expanded its focus to the stories behind creative works and people’s lives. Featured guests have included:
- Sylvia Louise Engdahl – Cold War air defense system programmer and space colonization advocate. Winner of the Christopher and Phoenix Awards for her science fiction novels.
- Bill Bennett – Two-time Cannes official selected, four-time Toronto official selected and Australian Film Institute Award-winning film director, two-time Logie award-winning Australian Broadcasting Corporation journalist and author of best-selling travel memoir about his 500-mile Camino de Santiago hike across Spain.
- Julie Daniluk – Co-host of Oprah Winfrey Network’s Healthy Gourmet that has aired in 78 countries, resident nutrition expert on The Marylin Denis Show in Canada and author of Gourmand Cookbook Award-winning and best-selling nutrition books
- Michael H. Schlossberg – Pennsylvania state representative who works on suicide prevention and mental health legislation, and writes mental health-themed science fiction novels. For his mental health advocacy he has received the Allies in Action Award from the American Federation for Suicide Prevention, the Benjamin Rush award from the Philadelphia Psychiatric Society, the Minding Your Mind Award for Mental Health Advocacy, the I’m the Evidence Award for Mental Health Advocacy and Legislator of the Year Award from the National Association of Social Workers-PA.
- Robert M. Hazen – Senior Staff Scientist at the Carnegie Institution of Washington’s Geophysical Laboratory, Clarence Robinson Professor of Earth Sciences at George Mason University, executive Director of the Deep Carbon Observatory and presenter of numerous named lectures at universities. Recipient of the Roebling and Distinguished Public Service Medals from the Mineralogical Society of America, the American Chemical Society Ipatieff Prize and the Virginia Higher Education Council Outstanding Faculty Award. The biomineral hazenite was named in his honor. Author of more than 25 books on science, history, and music for which he received the E.A. Wood Science Writing and Deems Taylor Awards.
- Witold Rybczynski – Martin and Margy Meyerson Professor Emeritus of Urbanism at the University of Pennsylvania who served on the federal U.S. Commission of Fine Arts from 2004 to 2012. Seaside Institute Seaside Prize and National Building Museum Vincent Scully Prize-winning architect. Author of books on architecture, urbanism, technology and history and winner of the J. Anthony Lukas Book Prize.
- Kirsten W. Larson – Former NASA space missions public affairs officer of 6 years who has written over 25 books aimed at schools, libraries and children.
- Glenn A. Bever – Retired Deputy Director for Research and Engineering at NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center, recipient of the NASA Exceptional Engineering Achievement, Outstanding Leadership and Exceptional Service medals and the center’s first Emeritus engineer. His 42-year career at the center involved working on over 17 aircraft platforms, 16 years of service as the NASA representative to the NATO Advisory Group for Aerospace Research and Development (AGARD) Flight Test Techniques Group and an assignment to post-Cold War Russia for research flights on the retired TU-144LL, the world’s first supersonic passenger aircraft, about which he wrote a memoir.
- Jeffrey Howard Archer – Former deputy chairman of the UK Conservative Party (1985–86), life peer and 2000 Mayor of London candidate. After falling victim to an investment fraud in 1974 that left him roughly (in 2019 USD) $5M in debt, he began writing to avoid bankruptcy and within 4 years topped the New York Times best seller list. Over the following decades his books sold more than 330 million copies.
You can email us below for any questions or comments (remember to add our domain to your email provider’s safe sender list or whitelist as otherwise replies may end up in your spam folder – please do this for the entire domain nfreads.com as we use a number of different email addresses):